What does a Captain do?
- Ensure all information on the route, weather, passengers and aircraft is received
- Use this information to create flight plans
- Keeping aircraft logbook up to date
- Making regular checks on aircraft’s technical performance, pre-flight safety checks on navigation and operating systems
- Directing all aspects of flight planning, documenting aircraft and operational compliance to company and government standards and regulations
- Manage emergencies and coordinate with emergency support agencies
- Liaising with and directing team interactions involving mechanics, ground crew, ATC and airport operations
- Managing a large team including flight deck crew, cabin and ground crew coordination
- Maintain proficiency throughout consistent training programmes
- Multi-tasking, analysing information, prioritising problems, and achieving objectives during an ever changing, fast paced working environment
What qualifications do I need to become a Captain?
As a pilot, you will work in shifts. The role will be demanding, both physically and mentally, and you will likely experience jetlag effects from crossing different timezones, which you will eventually become accustomed to. You should also expect to spend alot of time away from home, due to the obvious travelling demands of your job. If you are working a standby pilot, you will also be expected to be based close to the airport.
How much does it cost to become a Pilot?
Training to become a pilot can cost as much as £100,000. This is a very important aspect of the career that you should consider. Make sure that you are aware of every penny that goes in to qualifying as a pilot before you pay a penny.
What’s the career path for a Pilot?
How much could I earn as a Captain?
According to our latest annual survey, the average salary a pilot earned in 2018 was £58,964.69. This would obviously increase depending on experience etc.
Want to see what life could be like as a pilot? Watch this short video by Flightdeck to get a real insight:
Working as cabin crew can be such an exciting career. You get to travel around the world and more importantly, get paid to do so. The image of wandering from one part of the globe to another while receiving respectful looks as you rush through bustling airports can be...
We recently caught up with a Captain for Air Europa Express to discover more about his career in military and civil aviation, what he loves about the job, and his thoughts about the future of the industry. How long have you been a pilot? Tell us a little...
We recently caught up with Captain for KUTAIR, Ercan Caner, to discover the story of his career so far, including what he wishes he’d known before starting out, the pros and cons of the job, and who he turns to for advice. How long have you been a pilot?...